Becoming a Monitor
Monitors have a diverse array of duties in the space. Monitors serve to create a safe and collaborative learning environment, encourage creative problem solving, spread knowledge about tools, materials, processes, and ideas, and enforce rules of the space.
During their shifts, monitors are expected to:
- Lead an approved BDW Workshop.
- Enforce rules in the space—keeping it safe, tidy, and comfortable.
- Record events and chores in the Monitors' Log Book.
- Wear an apron to be identifiable.
- Respond to member questions and assist with projects.
Outside of their shifts, Monitors must come to monthly BDW Monitor Meetings (during which new policies are introduced & discussed, and major changes to the space can be implemented). They should also be communicative to the rest of the team.
Towards the end of every semester, applications will be accepted for the following semester Monitor-in-Training Program. If you are interested and would like to be notified when applications are released, please send us an email with subject line [new monitor] to email@example.com.
Applications for the 2018 spring semester are open!
We're looking to hire monitors in training for new semester! The monitor-in-training position is an “internship” which allows members to learn the processes and procedures of the BDW for 6 weeks while working one-on-one with a head monitor. There are no formal requirements or prerequisites for becoming a monitor, just an interest and passion for the space!
There are two parts to our application, and both parts are due November 22nd at 11:59 pm. Steps:
1. Fill out the form at https://studentemployment.brown.edu/jobxJobdetailPrint.aspx…
2. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Wait to receive the second part of our application by email. *Note, please give us at least 24 hours to send the second portion. Because of this, we suggest you fill out the first portion ASAP.
4. Fill out the second part of our application by November 22nd at 11:59 pm.
We will follow up with all applicants after Thanksgiving break. Email email@example.com with any questions, using [new monitor app] in the subject line.